Wednesday 11 November 2009

Back to the Egg

No, I am not and never was a fan of the wings (Paul McCartneys vehicle in the 1970s). I just thot that these four words fitted when I wanted to put down my memory of a Hash trip to West Berlin in April 1989 while I was working at some funny Ostrich Office en Varsovie, Pologne.
Mind you that in early 1988 my first impression of Warsaw was WOW, now I know what the 1950s must have been like here in Wien and surroundings.
A mere 6 months after my (our) Hash initiation (SE and I) we took off with a few local Hashers to partake in the Berlin H3 run number I couldn't care less. Simply don't remember anymore. All I do remember is that the show was being run by British Army Soldiers - very friendly lads I have to say - and one of the main features of that weekend besides some okay running was a drive around town in a genuine Doubledecker Bus, lotsa times straight alongside the wall which for long stretches consisted of Plexiglass, behind you could see the death strip , the soldiers with their Machine Gun, the dogs and everything perfectly alright. There was this really murky feeling all the way alongside that "Antifaschistischer Schutzwall" and I will probably have a hard time trying to explain what this was all about to ny little daughter who is three years old now.
Anyhow, I just wanted to express that Hashing used to be great fun also back then and especially with the Warsaw Hash House Harriers in the late 1980s.
Such experiences certainly are helpful to shape one's view. In one way or another.

Try to come along to the AGM this coming Sunday and fight for your rights., if only to get a Martinigansl. I will stick with the Cevapcici which are great.

Musical recommendation of the day is Paul McCartney


Support your favorites, at the Hash and elsewhere!

On Out.

2 comments:

  1. Why no Martinigansl - Cevapcici is for the old gummy's who only reminisce about the good old days - oh hang on, wasn’t that what this post was about???? Good god, you've joined the club and you didn’t even know it.

    Looking forward to my fair share of Martinigansl - I'll have "Goose Juice" up to my elbows by the time I’m through.

    Keep up the good work.

    Looking forward to Saturday's big rugby match. Forget England v Argentina, Italy v New Zealand, Scotland v Fiji, i'm talking about the real deal - Austria v Norway!! Woo Hooo - go team go!! Beers and cheers!

    Ireland v Australia at 16:00 on Sunday might be a decent excuse to actually try and finish the run (and that incessant rambling of our RA) early prior to the AGM.

    Cheers, On On, Burp

    Sex-O-Phone

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have been pretty impressed by your summary of Team Rugby Austrias heroic defeat against those brute Northmen (9-12, http://www.rugby-austria.at/). I am already looking forward to the next Six Nations tournament.

    ReplyDelete